Check out Organizing Madison, LLC, on NBC15!
“Organizing and Thinking Green”
Getting Organized, Going Green
When getting organized, the first step is to decide what to keep and what to get rid of…
To decide what to keep, only keep the stuff you need, the stuff you use and the stuff you love. Easier said than done, right? Do your best to be realistic about what you really need to keep. Find a specific home for all of the items that you’ve decided to keep. Store like items together. Store things where you use them.
Now…what to do with the stuff you’re getting rid of? It would be easy to just throw it all away, but in honor of Earth Day, I want to encourage some alternatives:
- Try to repurpose your things to use in other ways. (i.e. an old t-shirt makes a great dust cloth!)
- If your things have some value, consider a garage sale or taking things to a consignment shop
- Post online…craigslist.org, Madisonstuffexchange.com, ebay.com
- Donate to a local charity…St. Vincent’s, Goodwill, etc (get a receipt for tax deduction!)
- Recycle…not just cardboard and aluminum cans anymore
- Athletic shoes
- And so much more
(these ideas are posted on the blog of my website, but the City of Madison also has a great reference…the “Recyclepdiea.”)
It may take a little extra time and effort, but it’s better for our world!